On Saturday morning, March 7, 2020, thousands of runners and walkers will participate in America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk. The course extends from Barneveld to Utica College. Area drivers will encounter delays and altered traffic patterns between 7:00 am and noon.
America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk Weekend events include:
- The Healthy for Good Expo will be held on Friday, March 6th at Utica College. The Expo will be held from 9a.m. – 7p.m. Runners and walkers can register all day long and attend the Expo. Health & Wellness Assessment Screenings, sponsored by Mohawk Valley Health System, will take place throughout the day and are free to participants. Parking for the Expo is available at the American Heart Association office at 125 Business Park Drive, Our Lady of the Rosary Church at 1736 Burrstone Road, and the Holiday inn at 1777 Burrstone Road. Birnie Bus shuttles will take participants to Utica College.
- WIBX Heart Radiothon, sponsored by Slocum-Dickson Medical Group, P.L.L.C., will be broadcast on WIBX of Townsquare Media. The Heart Radiothon will be broadcast on Friday, March 6th from 6a.m. – 7p.m. and Saturday, March 7th from 6a.m. – 1p.m. and streamed online at www.wibx950.com.
- WKTV Heart Telethon, sponsored by Scalzo, Zogby & Wittig Insurance, will be broadcast live by WKTV NewsChannel 2 and streamed online at www.wktv.com. The Telethon will be broadcast live on Friday, March 6th from 7p.m. – 8p.m. on CBS Utica. Volunteers will be taking calls beginning at noon. The telethon will air on Saturday, March 7th from 8a.m. – 1p.m. on WKTV NewsChannel 2.
- Six run/walk routes will kick off on Saturday, March 7th. Routes include the traditional 18 mile, 10 mile, 5 mile and 3 mile runs, along with the 5 mile and 3 mile walks. The 18 mile run is the earliest, starting at 7:30a.m. The 10 mile run starts half an hour earlier this year, at 8:10a.m. The 5 and 3 mile runs start at 9:20a.m. The 5 and 3 mile walks start at 10:30 a.m. Shuttles will take runners from Utica College to the 18 mile start line at 6:30a.m. and 10 mile run start line at 7:30a.m.
- Shuttle service on Saturday is available starting at 6a.m. Runners and walkers should park at one of three Park & Ride locations:
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
12 Rhoads Drive (Utica Business Park)
- Utica National Insurance Group
Genesee St., New Hartford
- American Heart Association
125 Business Park Drive, Utica
The fundraising goal for the upcoming event is $1,000,000. Fundraising efforts for the Heart Run & Walk are led by chairman Jeremy Robinson, Senior Vice President of Customer Relations Management at NYCM Insurance.
The American Heart Association would like to thank all of the volunteer leadership working on this event:
- Jeremy Robinson, Campaign Chairperson
- Steve Gassner, Logistics Chairperson
- Marolyn Wilson, Media Chairperson
- Deb Kessler, Telethon Chairperson
- Melanie Cook, Radiothon Chairperson
- Mike McGraw, Expo Chairperson
- Theresa Flemma, Registration Chairperson
- Ron Townsend, Traffic & Safety Chairperson
- Brenda McMonagle, Rome Indoor Run & Walk Chairperson
The popular Kids Heart Challenge, sponsored by AmeriCU Credit Union, will be held after Heart Weekend. For its third year, the challenge will be held Friday, April 17th at 7p.m. at Accelerate Sports Complex in Whitesboro. The event is an obstacle course for kids ages 5-12. Registration will be available online and starting at 5:00p.m. at Accelerate Sports Complex.
Participants can find this information at www.UticaHeartRunWalk.org, or by calling the American Heart Association at (315) 580-3964.
Follow along on social media on Facebook and Twitter at @HeartCNY and on Instagram at @AHANewYork and with #HeartRunWalk.
SPECIFIC ROAD CLOSINGS AND DETOURS:
LOCATION TIME DETAILS
|ROUTE 365||7:30am to 8:30 am||Closed to east bound traffic between Mapledale Rd. and Barneveld|
|ROUTE 365||8:00am to 10:00am||Closed to east bound traffic between Route 291 and Mapledale Rd.|
|ROUTE 291||8:00am to 10:30am||Closed to north bound traffic between Route 69
(Oriskany Blvd., Whitesboro) and Route 365
|MAIN ST., WHITESBORO||9:00 am to 10:30am||Closed to west bound traffic|
|9:00 am to 10:30am||Closed to all but local traffic between River Rd. Marcy and Main St. Whitesboro|
|MAIN ST., NY MILLS & MAIN ST. YORKVILLE||8:30 am to noon||Closed totally between Burrstone Rd. & Oriskany Blvd.|
|BURRSTONE RD.||8:00 am to 1pm||Closed to ALL traffic between Old Burrstone Rd. & Main St., New York Mills|
|8:00 am to noon
|Closed to ALL traffic between Burrstone Road and Graham Ave.|
|CAMPBELL AVE., YORKVILLE/ NYMILLS
|9:00 am to noon||Closed to all traffic between Second Ave. and Main St., NY Mills
|CLINTON ST., NY MILLS||8:30 am to noon||Closed between Henderson St., and Burrstone Rd.|
|ELM ST., YOUNG AVE.,
FAIRWAY DR., WINCHESTER DR., PULASKI ST., & PROSPECT ST., NY MILLS & CROSS ST, YORKVILLE
|8:30 am to 1 pm||Closed to All, but local traffic|
|YORKVILLE CORNERS AT ORISKANY BLVD & MAIN ST||9:00 am to 11:00 am||Will have a severe traffic delay for east and westbound
Oriskany Blvd. Traffic. Traffic will be re-routed away from
the intersection during event
|CHAMPLIN AVE||8:00 am to noon||Traffic arriving at St. Luke’s Hospital should approach from the north on Champlin Ave (Yorkville)|
|BUSINESS PARK DRIVE & WASHINGTON DR.||9:30 am to noon||All traffic controlled between 9:30 am & 11:30 am|
|FRENCH ROAD RAMP OFF RT. 12 ARTERIAL – NORTH & SOUTH BOUND||8:00 am to 12:30 pm||Closed to all Arterial traffic|
|ST. LUKE’S HOSPITAL CAMPUS||Approach from the north going southbound on Champlin Ave. from Yorkville|
|SLOCUM-DICKSON MEDICAL CENTER||Enter from French Road by exiting Route 12 Arterial at Lomond Place|
|NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL & NOTRE DAME LANE||Enter from French Road by exiting Route 12 Arterial at Lomond Place. Entering on Business Park Drive|
All drivers who encounter these traffic situations are asked to be patient and to obey the Law Enforcement and Fire officials along the route. For more information, please call the American Heart Association at (315) 580-3964.
Patients and Staff seeking to get to St. Luke’s Hospital must approach traveling south on Champlin Avenue. Screening at the Graham Avenue Intersection will allow them to continue to the Champlin Avenue entrance.
Patients and staff seeking to get to Slocum-Dickson Medical Center must approach northbound on French Road and will be directed into the Center using its French Road entrance. Exit the Arterial, Route 12 on Lomond Avenue, as the French Road exits will be closed.
America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk 2020 is locally sponsored by signature sponsor NYCM Insurance; local sponsors Scalzo, Zogby and Wittig, Inc. Insurance; AmeriCU Credit Union, and Slocum Dickson Medical Group. A minimum amount of $30 in pledges for participants 16 years and older is required at registration to participate in the Heart Run & Walk. For more information on America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk 2019, please contact the American Heart Association at 315.580.3964 or visit www.uticaheartrunwalk.org.