The safety of our patients, employees, physicians and community are of primary importance to Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS). Therefore, during the initial onset of the coronavirus in our state, we immediately complied with strict recommendations by the State of New York to limit visitors to our facilities. Our goal was to limit exposure to COVID-19, especially important to individuals with compromised health status. We took our role to help flatten the curve of potential exposures very seriously.
We recognize that separation of patients and their loved ones during hospitalization can cause significant stress and anxiety. And now that the curve has been flattened, the State of New York has provided updated guidance for hospitals regarding visitation. We are happy to allow our patients to have visitors and will continue to keep you safe by following recommendations to ensure the health and well-being of our patients.
Visitor Guidelines – Inpatient Hospital Units
- Visiting hours for inpatient hospital units are from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week.
- Each visit is limited to one person at a time for a maximum of four hours per day. Only two visitors, in total, are permitted during the four hours of visitation per day.
- Visitors will be screened (temperature check and asked about symptoms). Visitors will be denied entry if they report significant COVID-19 exposure or symptoms during the prior 14 days or have a temperature equal to or greater than 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit;
- Visitors will be given a mask to wear for their entire visit and will be instructed in appropriate hand hygiene.
- For the protection of our patients and employees, visitors will be asked to leave the facility if they fail to or refuse to wear a mask.
- Visitors must maintain social distancing of six feet even in the patient room.
- A visitor must remain in the patient room unless otherwise directed by the clinical staff.
- At this time, the hospital cafeterias remain open only to employees.
- At this time, we will not be expanding visitation to patients who tested positive for COVID-19 or are persons under investigation for COVID-19, given limited supplies of PPE, unless there are special circumstances as defined by the NYS Department of Health in its earlier guidance. This includes:
- Patients in labor, delivery, and the remainder of the patients’ admission;
- Pediatric patients;
- Patients for whom a support person has been determined to be essential to the care of the patient (medically necessary) including patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and patients with cognitive impairments including dementia; and
- Patients in immediate end-of-life situations.
- During this phase one of visitation, a no visitor policy remains in effect for the behavioral health units at the MVHS hospitals.
- All visitors will be given a one-page hand out that details visitor guidelines, provides information on safety measures such as hand hygiene, wearing a mask and practicing social distancing, and contact information for questions.
- All visitors must be older than 18 years of age except for previously documented exceptions.
For more information and information about specific areas of the hospitals such as Emergency Departments, outpatient services and Maternity, visit mvhealthsystem.org/visitation.