Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) is adopting the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an international recognition program that celebrates compassionate care.
“We are proud of the dedication and commitment demonstrated by our nurses” said Linda McCormack-Miller RN DNP NEA-BC, senior vice president/chief nursing officer. “The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses is one way that our patients and family members can recognize them for the compassionate care they display every day.”
The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses was co-founded by Mark and Bonnie Barnes in late 1999 after their son Patrick died from an auto-immune disease, Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (ITP). Following their son’s death, Mark and Bonnie reflected on that very difficult time in the hospital with their son. They were amazed by the compassion and kindness extended to not only their son, but to their family. Patrick’s nurse became their nurse.
Patient and family members can nominate a nurse in the following ways:
- MVHS website link, www.mvhealthsystem.org/daisy-award.
- Letter to the CEO. Please send a letter to: Darlene Stromstad C/O Marissa Dauber, Nursing Administration, 1656 Champlin Avenue, Utica, NY 13502. Be sure to include as much detail as possible about your extraordinary nurse, as well as your contact information.
- Fill out a nomination form. Forms are available in the lobbies of the St. Elizabeth and St. Luke’s Campuses, or simply ask for one from your nurse.
Nominations will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of leadership and frontline nursing staff. DAISY Award winners will receive the following:
- DAISY Recognition Certificate.
- DAISY Recognition Pin.
- Healer’s Touch Sculpture.
Nominations for the first DAISY awards must be received by Friday, April 24, 2021. Please help us to recognize our extraordinary nurses who demonstrate compassionate care.