This year, RCIL celebrates its 40th anniversary! Since being established in 1983, we had no idea just how much we would grow and how many communities we would impact. Here is a look at RCIL through the decades:
- In 1983, the Resource Center for Independent Living (RCIL) was incorporated as an independent living center with two programs, four employees, and six consumers.
- In 1993, RCIL joined a state-wide coalition of independent living centers known as The New York Association of Independent Living, or NYAIL.
- In 2003, RCIL restructured to allow for diverse expansion by forming a Parent Corporation primarily for strategic planning to support the organization, and a Foundation was formed to manage the agency’s investments and to oversee fundraising efforts.
- In 2013, following a national search, Zvia McCormick became RCIL’s second CEO.
- In 2023, our workforce currently exceeds 3,000 employees with our programs and services supporting several thousand individuals throughout NY State.
It is thanks to our generous donors, staff, Board members, and community partners that we can meet and transcend our goals to assist people with disabilities to independently live the lives they choose, free from outside control. Visit our website to learn more about how we can assist you, or how you can contribute to our mission.