In accordance with a New York State Department of Health directive for updated COVID-19 guidance regarding Obstetrical settings, Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) has updated its visitor restrictions for Labor and Delivery. Women in labor are allowed one support person essential to patient care throughout labor, delivery and the immediate postpartum period. This person can be the patient’s spouse, partner, sibling, doula or another person they choose. In these settings, this person will be the only support person allowed to be present during the patient’s care. Patients with a certified doula will need to make arrangements with MVHS prior to delivery for the additional support person.
The updated guidelines are as follows:
- Pregnant women will be allowed ONE LABOR SUPPORT PERSON once they are determined to be laboring unless they are a scheduled for an induction or Cesarean section
- Scheduled inductions, Caesareans and other procedures require a COVID-19 test three days prior to arrival
- The laboring woman’s support person must be in good health and must not be a person under investigation (PUI) or COVID-19 positive and agreed to be screened by staff
- Screening includes a temperature check every 12 hours by nursing staff and screening questions
- While in the hospital, the labor support person will be expected to wear a mask at all times
- Masks can be removed for bathing or eating only
- Scrupulous hand washing and hygiene is a must.
- This support person will need to bring everything they will need from home for the duration of the stay as they will be expected to stay in the room with the patient (they will not be allowed to come and go)
- This includes clothes, special toiletries, medications, electronics, prepackaged snacks/drinks (homemade food from home is not allowed during the pandemic)
- The labor support person will be allowed to use the patient’s bathroom/shower
- The hospital cafeteria will be open to the labor support person to purchase meals.
As a reminder, with the exception outlined above and a few other rare instances, MVHS has a no visitor policy in place throughout the system to protect patients, residents and staff from COVID-19. If you have questions or would like more information about the Labor and Delivery restrictions, please call 315-624-6213.