Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce Job Announcement
SPECIAL PROJECTS OFFICER
The Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce (herein referred to as the “Chamber”) is a non-profit, member-based, business organization focused on the development of a prosperous economic climate that will enhance commercial growth and the quality of life for all who reside in the Utica region. The Chamber plays a significant role in the expansion of existing businesses and the attraction of new enterprises that will create jobs with the overall goal of stimulating in economic growth in the area. They campaign for regional governmental collaboration and champion assets that locals take for granted and outsiders do not know exist. Through community engagement and business promotion activities, the Chamber is able to provide its members with the opportunity to be connected, involved and informed.
About the Position
One of our region’s greatest challenges is recruiting and retaining talented individuals. This challenge is exacerbated by the lack of a central location to house resources that share information and promote our region. To address this challenge, the Special Projects Officer will take the lead on the development, launch and use of a Regional Recruitment Tool and Welcome Guide, both of which will assist current employers and prospective investors in attracting, recruiting and retaining talent to the Mohawk Valley Region. Key elements of the recruitment tool will include: a partnership agreement, a digital platform (including a shareable welcome guide) and a concierge service, which can be used by businesses and Chamber members as a way to provide customized tours to potential, new or recent hires. The welcome guide and recruitment tool will target two main audiences: 1) people who may move to the area (promoting the Mohawk Valley as an optimal place to relocate) and 2) people who have recently moved/transplanted to the area (reengaging to remind them of why the Mohawk Valley is a great place to live/work.) The Special Projects Officer will also support Chamber membership tasks, will report to the Executive Director and will be based in the Chamber’s office in downtown Utica. This is a new position and may evolve over time.
- Support the development and launch of a Welcome Guide and Recruitment tool (75% of time) which may include, but is not limited to:
- Conducting focus group discussions and information gathering efforts to ensure portal content is up-to-date and relevant;
- Drafting content for a Mohawk Valley Welcome Guide and corresponding website/portal, as well as corresponding social media assets;
- Participating in design and feedback discussions with regional stakeholders such as Mohawk Valley Edge, the Genesis Group, Oneida County Tourism, the Chamber Alliance and the Chamber of Commerce in Rome;
- Working with a selected web-based service provider to ensure that portal content is effectively organized, communicated and updated regularly;
- Developing and monitoring data analytic metrics to determine portal usage/opportunities for portal upgrades;
- Working with Chamber staff to implement the three-year work plan, which will include the eventual in-house financing of the portal;
- Support Chamber membership tasks (25% of time) which may include, but is not limited to:
- Tracking member interest and use of the guide/portal;
- Ensuring members are showcased in the guide/portal;
- Exploring ways to incentivize members to become sponsors/funders of the portal (and/or eventually purchase concierge services) and;
- Supporting ongoing development and fundraising for the guide/portal (including leading focus group discussions when developing the content and layout of the portal).
- Planning, implementing, managing and monitoring Chambers’ Social Media strategy in order to increase brand awareness, as well as share member’s news and events;
- Other duties as requested.
Minimum Qualifications Required/Candidates Must:
- Have 3-5 years of relevant work experience in administrative roles or in roles similar to the detailed responsibilities described above;
- Have an Associate or Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- Have an elevated attention to detail, protocols, and professionalism;
- Have outstanding communication skills (verbal, written, and interpersonal);
- Knowledge of current social media marketing;
- Possess a creative mindset;
- Be highly organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments (including overseeing service providers/vendors);
- Be comfortable with notetaking during meetings and preparing written reports/web content;
- Be proficient in Windows and Microsoft Office;
- Be self-directed and able to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relations with all levels of staff, stakeholders, Chamber members and service providers.
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Application deadline is July 23, 2021.
The Greater Utica Chamber of Commerce is an equally opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status